Sunday 30 January 2011

Avocets and Robins


These pictures should be videos of an Avocet amongst the many looking stunning on an icy Exe Estuary this morning, and a Robin singing its heart out high up in a hedge. They were reluctant to load (not the birds), so I may try later. I hope the replacements capture the mood of what has been a spectacularly sunny day - for January. I didn't know that I would encounter Avocets when I set off without binnoculars this morning, but the mud was plastered with them and plenty of other waders.
There were also loads of people about, including a boatload of Avocet watchers, a range of walking birders, a digi-scoper and the usual dog walkers. One insisted on repeatedly calling 'Freddie' whilst I was camcording, so if the Avocet clip ever makes this blog, the bird isn't called by that name.
It really is ice in the image on the left and above left which gives an idea of how cold it was yesterday, and particularly last night. The fire was burning brightly indoors and, as I seem to be doing with just about everything in my enthusiasm for January, I took a few photos in between playing Scramble on my i phone and watching The Flying Doctors on tv. I'll leave that image to your imagination, unless I get any special requests - which are always welcome. Well, tomorrow is the last day of this fine month and I will do my best to show it off to full advantage.





No comments:

Post a Comment