Wednesday 22 June 2011

Colourful day

There's more to the art of shopping than... shopping. There's art. 

Philippa (the recently vacated the nest daughter) and I visited my favourite shop at Cribbs Causeway near Bristol yesterday. We both share the habit of keeping a camera handy, just in case. We're clearly both not made just to live in the world and see it as it is in any regular way, but seem to have an innate compulsion to capture snippets of goings on. 

This week Philippa introduced me to the 'Instagram' app, which she has been using feverishly for some time. She described it to me as 'a sort of Twitter based on photos'. It's all about taking pictures with your phone and sharing them (with a potential five million other like minded individuals), commenting on other people's pics and generally becoming 'feverish'. The latter behavioural characteristic requires thinking of captions, swift 'tagging' and commenting on photos as these are posted - on the move. My style still needs some work. When we arrived at The Mall, we immediately noticed some Red Arrow-like airplanes suspended from the ceiling. I was instructed to put away my little camera (probably not 'feverish' enough) and to use the phone. Another picture was posted successfully, adding to my one already there!   

Once in the grip of the fever, it took a different turn when we ambled into the haberdashery department after a mocha and cream tea break - which Philippa gave the full Instagram treatment...and even got a comment from another feverish Instagram user and cream tea fan. Surrounded by colour and texture in the haberdashery, I couldn't resist taking out my camera and we both spent a compulsive and thoroughly enjoyable time taking pictures of anything we fancied. As Philippa's 'feverishness' skills are better honed than mine, she posted her pictures to Instagram and am putting some of mine right here. 

It's not a straightforward business taking photographs in a department store, as with my experiences of doing the same in garden centres. Funnily enough, it's not normal behaviour and it is not what everyone else is doing, especially customers. We therefore limited these activities to the haberdashery and lighting departments. 

Examples will follow shortly.... downloading facilities seem to have gone on strike! 


I have always liked shiny fabric, preferably on the role.


Zips tend to be less problematic out of clothes.


In my experience, wool is safer left on the shelf!


Delicious lamps


                                                     And more

No comments:

Post a Comment