Monday 18 July 2011

Cycling in the rain

I broke my cycling rules today, rejecting lemon yellow gear in favour of a total black waterproof look - from head to toe. I made the assumption that there wouldn't be many super-speedy cyclists out and about in the rain (I was right), which would mean less chance of being run into - which nearly happens quite regularly, even when I am dressed as a flourescent lemon. 


My sun glasses are perfect for cycling (they don't actually cycle) as they are big enough to stop my eyes from watering. I didn't dare wear these today due to the rainy darkness. The hood of my waterproof jacket is all encompassing of my head and face (if you see what I mean), and the addition of sunglasses plus rain would have resulted in extremely poor all round visibility. My ordinary glasses were reasonably alright, except that I had to stop occasionally to wipe off the rain.


When I complete this image with the final details, you'll wish you could see a picture! I tucked camera, peanut butter roll and i phone in a bag inside the front of my jacket, which apparently made me look pregnant. Fortunately, the offsetting of this by compacting my waterproof trousers at the ankles by someone else's (!) bicycle clips (usually worn only by men of a certain age) had the effect of counteracting any vague allusions to pregnancy. 


So determined was I to have a semi-picnic in the rain, that I attempted to attach a mug (with lid) of coffee to my handlebars, to be sipped somewhere along the way. My trusty bike used to accommodate Philippa on the back when she was a toddler (she is now in her twenties) and does not boast modern fitments of any kind. It is still reasonably good at transporting a person, but definitely not toddlers or drinks (hot or cold). Most of the coffee had spilled within the first fifteen minutes. 


The advantages of cycling in the rain, apart from not being able to see very well, were that I only passed two or three other cyclists. When I reached the beach there was hardly a person in sight. I bought a cup of tea from one of the many people-less seafront cafes and was shown a copy of The Sun newspaper, and you'll be relieved to know, had the weather forecast for the next month pointed out - more continuous rain. 


There was still plenty of action on the beach.


Seaweedy sea


Loads of gulls

Pointy tails

Prancing

Floating

Dozing

No comments:

Post a Comment