Wednesday 4 March 2015

Parking and Murder Mystery

There was no particular theme to yesterday. I ditched the bus pass in favour of our super huge, Land Cruiser. The size is relevant because of the narrow, high hedged road out of this village and the need to park it somewhere when you arrive at your destination. The narrow road is potentially problematic when/if you meet the big red double decker bus, particularly on the steep hilly bit. I'm a fabulous driver going forwards, sideways (?) and parking BUT I'm not brilliant at reversing, especially down steep hills, synchronising with a row of other dubiously reversing drivers - and usually one who refuses to cooperate. The same applies to reversing up the steep hill. 

For some reason, dark windows in vehicles seem to be in vogue and ours is no exception. This adds a sense of 'reversing in the dark' to daytime experiences. There is also potentially very helpful visual guidance in the form of a little camera out back, showing the not so interesting film on the sat nav screen - which most people have been using for years. I find it difficult to relate what looks like three inches on the screen, before you hit something, which is a whole different measurement in reality. The beeping sound adds to the trauma, especially when it begins to shout.

You'll be disappointed to know that I didn't meet the bus and all went smoothly, even down to parking in a tiny space in an Exeter car park. I say 'Exeter car park', because it's not Los Angeles or somewhere with realistic parking spaces for super huge vehicles. I managed to squeeze between two cars, one normal and one huge, with the bleeper getting more frantic with every movement. Having assessed the situation beforehand (which the vehicle doesn't seem to be able to do yet), I chose a spot where the other drivers' doors were accessible. I had to hold my breath to slither out of a small opening in the door to get out. 

I was quite pleased with myself but not so pleased that it felt appropriate to take a picture - darn! To lighten the mood, I headed for a bookshop - and the crime and thriller section. This is what happened next...

 Like a true fan, I got stuck in with my camera

And some more

This is similar to a picture I took yesterday

 These girls are debating the probability of murder - ha... I know what happens!

Will she push him?

Take care Philippa!





2 comments:

  1. Love the front covers but I’d be pretty hopeless with the Exeter car park and country-lane reversing! I almost always manage to find a place to park that doesn’t involve squeezing between two cars so I’m very out of practice... We’re heading for Adelaide and the big wedding tomorrow. I’ve practised walking in my stilettos, by nails are painted, my eyelashes are extended – I think I’m good to go! I’ve got 4 days’ leave – we’re staying in a cabin at Robe on the coast on the way back. Much holiday love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a fabulous time on your very adventurous trip. I can't imagine you'll have problems parking. I can't wait to hear all about it and hopefully to see some pics, including the extended eyelashes! Loads of love from a beautiful sunny, bird chirruping March morning.

      Delete