Saturday 23 May 2015

Chick in a beak

It's Saturday.
Grrrr - no time to lose. My mind was empty and I wondered (vaguely) what there would be to blog about. The room is looking fabulous and, as yesterday, finished hours of brush strokes (no roller today) by collapsing in the usual chair in the garden. 

I was aware of Blackbirds making a dreadful noise in the background. There were power tools grinding away and the usual Chiffchaff, so I didn't take much notice at first. A long while later I investigated and the Crows, which have a nest directly above and to the left of Mr. and Mrs. Blackbird had paid a visit to their smaller black neighbours. I saw the two of them getting stuck into something that I couldn't see - and guessed the worst. But it got worse. 

The Crows took their time, whilst Mr. and Mrs. Blackbird howled and hopped around in a distressed frenzy close by. I couldn't escape what was going on because it was so close and I was in the equivalent of the front of the upper circle. I took loads of pictures over the next hour and was mesmerised. 

THEN when I happened to be looking through the binoculars I watched one of the Crows go to the Blackbirds' nest and come out with a chick in its beak. It was such a shock. It was a large feathered brown chick, not tiny bald spiky and pink. They took it to the same branch and then flew off with it. That's when I tried to take more pictures.


The Crows with a Blackbird chick - which is hidden behind the leaves


This was poor Mrs. Blackbird, in a frenzy between the Crows and her nest. What do you do in that situation? Could she bear or dare to take a peak? She (and her husband) was wagging her little tail like mad, as if it would bring them back.

Poor Mrs. Blackbird in terrible distress

All this went on for hours this afternoon and through this evening. I had a good view from the kitchen and was so absorbed that I turned one oven on and set the temperature on another. 

It's just gone 10.00pm and it's almost dark - and now very quiet. Spare a thought for Mr. and Mrs. Blackbird. 

2 comments:

  1. Poor Mr & Mrs B! That's such a terrible thing! Such is the natural order of things I suppose, but that's not nice at all. xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Blackbird knows no different but to begin again - in the same danger zone! He is singing his heart out, re-establishing himself in his territory. It doesn't bode well. He also pays brief visits to a branch very close to the Crows' nest, as if his children might be there.

      Delete