Tuesday 15 February 2011

Garden centres and hardware stores


Yes, I know we (in this country) don't generally call shops stores, except for British Home Stores, which is in a category all of its own. However, in Australia shops are generally labelled stores, and believe me, I have plenty of photos to prove it. I'll save a superior selection for another day.


As you may notice from the labels attached to the above flowers, these are not from my garden, or any garden for that matter. I was reminded recently by one of my daughters that "I remember being dragged around these (garden centres) all the time when I was little". What a cheek! As far as I was concerned, it was a privilege. Nowadays, they are convenient places to meet up with people such as sisters. It's definitely not all about plants. A sandwich and coffee is important, accompanied by plenty of catching up, and then a saunter amongst the garden/pet furniture, ridiculously inappropriate stuff and clothes that could only be worn unseen at the bottom of the garden.

I can't say that garden centres have the same effect on me as hardware stores, which I have always had a natural affinity with. The time of year is unimportant where nuts and bolts are concerned, whereas the urge to plant isn't strong in a February gale and torrential rain (today). Instead, I behaved slightly out of character for a garden centre visitor today, photographing flowers in bloom as a substitute for not being able to plant them. Unfortunately I still haven't worked out a way to capture the strong fragrances, but I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment