Monday 11 April 2011

A small film for a small bird


I've had problems coordinating my patience with the length of time it takes to upload films on this blog, which is the reason for the lack of moving pictures. However... I came across this weeny film, misfiled amongst the non-movers, and it appears to have uploaded due to its compact size. It stood a better chance of successful arrival due to me popping out to clear some dishes during the process. The bird in question is a Small Pratincole filmed at the beginning of the Nepal trip, when we took to inflatable boats on the Kosi River. I wrote a very brief diary at the time, and the following is what I wrote for that morning.

Wed 16th March
"First night in tent, and I had forgotten that I said I would never camp again, after our long African trip. The bed in the tented room, under a thatched protective roof, was as hard as a butcher's block. There were plenty of torches and candles and room to move about. The ablution block was out back and not too far. Just far enough to check out the wildlife in the night. Night noises were a plenty, with noisy drumming background music - apparently wedding related and which carried on for what seemed like hours. For once, my travelling companion was sound asleep and totally silent. I didn't see any night creatures, except hundreds of flying ant types during the cold showing process. It is very hot, so the cold was welcome. Was wide awake at 5.00am and my back was keen to leave the butcher's block. Spent a long morning on the shallow Kosi River, the group split between two boats. It became very hot later. Had a picnic breakfast. Some of the highlights were Small Pratincole which I managed to digi-scope, Sand Lark, Wild Buffalo, Elephants, Loads of Ruddy Shelduck and 30 Bar-headed Geese. "

Action on the Kosi River

Spacious tents housing butchers' blocks


No comments:

Post a Comment