Wednesday 20 April 2016

From palace to palace

I'll not mention today's rain, but instead will focus on our new town palace - yes, another one. When you book hotels on-line at home, the postage stamp picture and details only give a brief idea of what is to come. We weren't sure what the day would bring because of the unmentionable watery atmosphere. 

We could just make out one of the Spanish Imperial Eagles en route to more water (!) at Embalse de Arrocampo, close to Saucedilla. This is a wetland associated with the reservoir (embalse), about twenty miles from the Eagles' nest. I was only able to take one picture on the way due to the unmentionable torrential precipitation - see, no mention of the four letter word.



We found a new 'through the window' bird here - an Iberian Grey Shrike (or Southern Grey Shrike)



Trujilla - where I made my first phone call in Spanish

I didn't book the hotel and probably wouldn't have chosen it if I had known that on the booking details it states, 'On arrival in Trujilla phone the hotel and arrange to be met'. The booker doesn't speak Spanish, except when needing food or alcohol and so it was left to me. I have done 'speaking on the phone' as a topic in recent Spanish lessons with Josephina. However, I didn't focus as hard as I should have done because I believed that I would find other, easier modes of communications - at all costs. 

I did some written belated prep in the car earlier in the day, as if readying myself for a nerve-wracking Spanish practical. I didn't see the problem so much as me, but more 'them' and how fast they were likely to speak. I knew what I needed to say, but would I understand a word of the rapid response? All prepped and fortunately sitting outside the easy to describe Santander Bank and Policia Locale, the dialling commenced. Except that it took four attempts at the beginning of the Hotel's number before we guessed at the correct format and got an answer. 

Thanks to my brilliance (an exemplar of modesty), the hotel manager (Olmar) skipped down the hill and hopped in Sylvia - after some speedy baggage handling to make some room - to guide us to what would have been an impossible to find Palacio Chaves Hotel. It didn't inspire confidence that he took one look at Sylvia and announced that this wasn't a town suited to big cars. We made it without destroying any buildings and were somewhat bemused to find ourselves in one of the oldest buildings in town.

One of several sitting rooms for our use.

There are also libraries dotted around, providing plenty of Spanish reading practice.



An assortment of art



Plaza Mayor of Trujillo

It's a Peruvian-style square and looks very similar to the one in Cusco, Peru. This is where the founders of that country originate, according to the many plaques attached to the buildings. These don't give much information, assuming that we all know the background history. Must visit the museum or do some googling.

It's very touristy here and a shock to the system after the peace and solitude of Monfrague and its Eagles and Vultures. It's very quiet up here in our palacio, except for a very loud and repetitive Scops Owl calling. 


No comments:

Post a Comment