Tuesday 26 April 2016

Sierra de Gredos

We've moved into familiar territory today, visited on our trip two years ago. We're sitting in our latest hotel, the fabulous Parador de Gredos looking out on 'Leona Lewis Wood'. This is the place on the previous visit where I meant to play some birdsong to attract a particular little beauty and I mistakenly touch something in i tunes and nearly had a heart attack when Leona began belting out a amplified Whitney song. I panicked (as you would) and couldn't turn her off. It was a memorable event in my birdwatching calendar.

The woods are at the back of the Parador and we eyed it enviously when we were here last time. And here I am, sipping yet another gin and tonic looking down on the aforementioned wood, from the lap of luxury. 

We stopped on the easy, sunshine-filled journey to walk by a fast flowing Dartmoor-like river where I saw some gorgeous butterflies. This was one of our best picnic spots. Also encountered Spanish Bluebells, horses in meadows, fierce black cows with pointy horns (from the car), a castle, snow-capped mountains, and winding mountain roads with hair pin bends and steep drops. 


 

There are Storks everywhere

The most interesting and unique nests are usually seen when whizzing past at speed in the car, so I thought it was time I made an effort. This is neither, but it's a start. Storks on churches will follow.



Travelling scenery



A Spanish Festoon Butterfly

I could have chased these all day

An Orange Tip

These were even more chaseable and would brighten up any day.




View from our latest window

With a privileged view of the Leona Lewis Wood. 




No comments:

Post a Comment