Sunday 8 May 2016

The ghost of Jeanne d'Albret

The Irati Forest is supposedly haunted by the ghost of Jeanne d'Albret, the queen of Navarra and mother of Henri IV, who was poisoned in 1572 and who reputedly revisits her old haunts on windy nights. 

I just knew there was more to it than mixed beech and silver fir woods. The book says it's a sparsely populated mountainous region, and believe me - it is. On first glance, there appears to be little else here apart from the trees. But there is something else.....

The historic battlefield at Roncevalles is part of this area and is where the rearguard of Charlemagne's army was massacred by the Basques in 778 AD, while retreating into France.....


Fallen monster?

Look at the snout. There are odd goings on in the forest.

Beech and Silver Fir Forest

I wouldn't want to get lost in here.


Not especially spooky by day

Long-deserted eerie building

I wouldn't want to live here. Deep in the forest, after I'd done 14 423 paces.


The dining room picture

I've been looking deep into this at breakfast and knew that it was trying to tell me something - and now I know.


Travelling to the forest pictures on a windy day and not a ghost in sight




No comments:

Post a Comment