Saturday 21 May 2016

In the woods


It's been raining on and off for days and when it stopped briefly Sylvia and I headed for the sylvan setting of Blackbury Camp to check out the the Bluebells.


Barely a Bluebell

The Bluebells were fading fast. It was also cold and everything was exceptionally soggy. My hands were frozen when I'd finished taking pictures. The leaves on the beech trees have a way to go and the trees didn't look their beautiful selves.


Blackbury Camp

I'm no good at visualising or describing Iron Age forts, but this is the Bluebell and Beech tree setting of today's visit. Back then (4th century BC) the hillfort 'stood on an open treeless ridge'. Nowadays it's difficult to imagine as a fort as the ones I'm more familiar with tend to be buildings looking towards the sea. 

Without the Bluebells in full bloom and the sun shining through the beech leaves the atmosphere was gloomy, muddy and leafmouldy - and for those with vivid imaginations, somewhat troll-like.


Carbuncular troll mushroom

I kept my distance when I took this picture. Are those lips? Could that be a nose?


Faces upon faces

Surely that has to be a nose? Could that other cluster be a mouth?


This could be where the food goes - or where a clan of Woodeckers live


The road

I abandoned the soggy camp and took to the road to see what I could find - and to add a few paces to the daily tally.  Although it was dank and dark there were loads of birds singing. 

 Gate and stile

I discovered a walk or two for sunnier days.


Where the mushrooms live

The atmosphere was old and soggy and full of possibilities.


Back to Blackbury Camp

I didn't want to leave you feeling frightened so have brought you out into the open.


Friendly Devon countryside

With sheep just beyond the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment